The Four Agreements- By Don Miguel Ruiz
The book opens our minds to the lies we have been living. These lies have been passed on to us as a part of our domestication process by our parents, teachers, and society. We are living a dream; not ours, but that of the society we live in. All of us are born with a capacity to have our own dreams, but we get into the lies and, create dreams that are defined by others. Listed below are some of the parts that I felt appealing.
- Children are domesticated the same way that we domesticate a cat or a dog.
- We get rewarded for doing those things that are said to be good by society and get punished for doing otherwise.
- We have created certain rules within ourselves to live with. We have made an agreement with these rules, even though we know most of them are lies. We live by them and our inner judge punishes us for violating them. We fell guilty and victim.
- We punish ourselves for the same mistake multiple times, unlike other living beings on this planet. We punish others many times for the same mistake by quoting those incidents repeatedly.
- We have spent so much energy in creating the rules of lies that we just have enough energy to push on each day of our remaining lives.
- We have created an image of perfection within us, which again is based on certain lies. We punish ourselves for not living up to those perfections. We also look down upon others for not living up to the image we have in us.
- But, we have the opportunity to recreate the rules. We can destroy our existing beliefs and substitute them with new ones. The energies spent on creating the older rules will get released when we do this.
The books has answers to some of the critical questions regarding our lives and behavior. The important ones are
- Why is our “word” so important in reclaiming our lives?
- What is meant by being “impeccable”?
- What is sin and is there a definition apart from the religious one?
- What are the negative effects of gossips and spells?
- How do you make or break yourself and others by your speech?
- Why do people talk bad about others?
- What are the harmful effects of having assumptions and how can we stop making assumptions?
- What is the effect of always doing our best and how can we practice it?
- Why are most people not able to do their best?
- What is the meaning of “Freedom”?
- Are we really free and who is responsible for it?
The books tells you about the process for a total transformation with the help of “The Four Agreements”.
Those who are really interested to have a complete transformation and have a happy and contented life should read this book. It is worth the time and money.
Get A copy here https://amzn.to/2VH9eIh